Sunday, March 18, 2018

Koalafied to Party Birthday Card

Hello Crafters,

Sharing a card I made using the KaDoodle Bug Designs Cutie KaToodles Koala bear, sentiment from Jaded Blossom and other items from my craft stash.

I alway felt that a koala's ears were a little bit bigger on it's head than other bears so I had to enlarge the ears on this Koala file a wee bit to make them fit with how I think a Koala's ears should be.     I also think that koala's need to be fuzzy so I decided to use gray and cream flocking powder on the pieces I cut out using my Silhouette Cameo machine.   

If you never used or heard of flocking powder before, the best way I can describe it is if you took felt and ground it up into a fine powder you would get something similar to flocking powder.   In order for the flocking powder to stick to my paper pieces I ran them through my Xyron to get adhesive on one side.   NOTE: be sure to turn your pieces upside down before running them through the Xyron because the side faced down is the side that gets the adhesive.   After I ran all the pieces through my Xyron 250 Sticker Maker I started to add the flocking powder.    Below are some pictures showing you the process I use when adding flocking powder to my paper pieces.

From top to bottom of this pic you can see my koala paper pieces on the Xyron strip after I put them through the 250 Sticker Machine.  Next you see the bottle of Martha Stewart Flocking Powder and then the flocking powder I poured onto a coffee filter and added one of my paper pieces to the pile of flocking powder. 

Here's an paper piece showing the adhesive from the Xyron before I added the flocking powder.  



Here it is slightly buried by the flocking powder.  

Here it is fully buried by the flocking powder.  


After I get it covered in flocking powder I rub it into the adhesive
and then tap it to get the loose flocking powder off the piece. 


Here it is after I have worked the flocking powder into the adhesive.
  


Here is a close up of my finished koala bear.  I just love him. 



And finally my finished card.   

took the branch he's holding and increased their size in my Silhouette Design Studio software to make them into trees.   I ran the branches/trunks through a woodgrain embossing folder after i inked it with Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Distress Ink.   Used my eBrush and copic markers to add details to the leaves. 



Card Recipe:

  • KaDoodle Bug Designs Cutie KaToodles Koala
    • I used a technique I learned from the Kit and Clowder's Coloring Eyes tutorial to accent the brown part of his eyes.  
      • Click here to go to Kit and Clowder.   If you sign up to take their tutorials I would greatly appreciate it if you would let them know you heard about them from me. 
    • Martha Stewart Gray flocking powder and cream flocking powder I bought in the dollar bin at Michael's years ago that I had in my craft stash.
    • Darice Woodgrain embossing folder
      • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut Stain
      • Copic Marker E79-Cashew to edge the sticks.
    • Copic Marker G09-Veronese to add lines to leaves.
    • Nuvo Crystal Drops ~ Ebony Black on his nose.
    • Eyelashes are fake eyelashes from the Dollar Tree that I cut in half and added to the back of his eyes. 
  • Background paper is from a 6"x6" paper pack I bought from Michael's called Tropical Life.   Thoughts the lines would make cool clouds or give it some dimension when I used Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks to make it look like a dusk sky.  
  • The paper I used for my grass is from my stash and I used Lawn Fawn Meadow Borders to cut them out. 
  • Ribbon on the side is from a company that is no longer aground called 3 Girl Jams. This green was from their Spooky Bundle and they called it goblin green.  I love their ribbon so I bought a bunch when I found out they weren't going to be in business anymore.   
  • Sentiment is from Jaded Blossom's G'Day Mate stamp set. 


Thanks for stopping by.

Hope I inspired you with some different medias to use in making your cards.

Happy Crafting!
TTFN,
Debby 



2 comments:

  1. Dear Debbie, what a rich use of different materials!! A very fine work and a very cute result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zigtac. Appreciate your precious comment. TTFN

      Delete